Pages

Friday, August 20, 2010

You know, A lot of teachers, including myself are historically Democrats. Supporting wage increases for teachers. Supporting the AEA. Supporting things like the issue of PreK that is before us today that fall under the purview of the Alabama Legislature . But I also know that most teachers are also Christian Conservatives.

I am running as a financially conservative Republican with a Baptist background. Often I get introduced as a former Democrat. Kind of a warning to the audience not to take too seriously what I might say. But in our district we have more than 120,000 registered voters only 1/3 of which will vote in the election in the fall. But we also have 8000 registered teachers and spouses of educators and you can bet that near 100% of them will vote. With near three decades of education under my belt you can know that I will always support public school teachers.

But I believe two things.

1 -Locally and nationally, the Democratic party has run out from under me.
2- The "Bailout" well can, and will, run dry.

I vote, and I run as a candidate on economic issues. Even hot button issues I step back and say " How does this affect the economics of our community". If it is morally acceptable and doesn't cost the taxpayer money then I will consider it. I believe we need, and we are going to get some fiscally responsible leadership in November. On a State level we have to be forward looking enough to open our eyes see the things that are a coming.

Things like record budget deficits. Unemployment levels at all time high. Medicaid shortfalls and education cutbacks.

Sometimes the answers are available but not always easy. But we need to be careful that we get people in the legislature this time who are going to take care of our teachers and the education system.


Energy costs will continue to rise. Our young people will die in increasing numbers from drug overdose and their children will go hungry.

With that in mind it is time to state a personal platform.

I ) I pledge to vote against tax increases and be ever mindful of the hidden tax increases in "fees" charges by government agencies.

II) I pledge to support our schools and teachers. If elected I will use every dime of my discretionary money in competitive grants for school supplies for our four to twelve year old's in public schools instead of handing out checks to a privileged few.

III) I pledge to go completely draconian on the drug issue. Seeking stiffer penalties for drug offenses, lock down rehab, and to go after drug dealing doctors.

IIII) And finally the main difference between me and the other guy. I pledge to vote against every and all gambling bills put forward by the Democrats. laws that could result in slot machines in your corner store right beside your church or school.

V) And finally, finally -Last but not least I will spend the next four years explaining to every legislator who will listen, That when we get a budget shortfall the solution is more income so the people can pay more tax, not more tax that will drive the people further down.

1 comment:

  1. I am really pleased to post my comment on this blog .I love your blog by the way, I am gonna have to add you to my list of watched blogs

    ReplyDelete