Pages

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Well here is the solar project #7

Some pretty random photos of the Andalay Solar panels.

Our calculations are that in winter we will get 97% of the power at a 10 degree angle that we would at 34 degrees and don't have the "where are my solar panels?" problem after the occasional 200 mph winds we get in Muscle Shoals Alabama.
The above photos show the ballast trays and the windshields along the back. I don't guess it would stand a 200 MPH wind but 60 should be a piece of cake. Especially if it comes from the North or South.

Notice the electrical connections are being made up as we go along, panel to panel. Remember this system is not anchored to the rooftop by anything except the steel weights we stole, I mean borrowed, from the machine shop.. (don't tell anyone)


Each 230 Watt panel has its own inverter which collects data and transmits power back onto the grid. The power not only flows backward up the line, it transmits coded digital data on the line as well.

I know we should have the panels covered in full sun until they are connected. But too late is too late.

I am convinced that when I get ready to do my rooftop this is exactly the system I will use. A slanted roof could be used without the mounts and wind shields but using it makes installation a breeze and corrects for the off angle condition that occurs in a 5-12 roof system which has a roof pitch of 22.5 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment