Pages

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Prayer in Alabama Schools?

I recall the Wednesday afternoons when the stores were closed so owners would have time to get ready for church. I believe that the sacrificed soldiers souls ache for a time when the school children heard a morning blessing before they started their day. I believe that hometown America was what they believed they died for. A belief have allowed to slip away by not allowing equal time for the Creator in the classroom. Freedom of religion was never intended to be freedom from religion.

The idea of a central government mandating a particular kind of religion was the reason our country was founded in the first place. Hence the first amendment which says that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion". Which is oft repeated by judges upholding challenges to a time of meditation and prayer in schools. These judges don't read far enough. The next line states "..or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..." Which is further clarified in the 14th amendment to expressly state that the same government which is prohibited from establishing a religious exercise is also expressly prohibited from preventing it.

Even in state buildings and institutions.

Many of the restrictions regarding meditation time in the public schools were enacted when the court was 5-4. Today it is 4-5 and I believe the time is right for a state to come forward with a law even more important than Roe-Wade.

I believe that I am the person who can write an amendment to our State Constitution which can withstand a Supreme Court review. I believe it can make a difference. There are books of research showing that daily time of meditation cures the spiritual ills of the individual and the society.

I promise, that given the chance, I will offer a constitutional amendment allowing a time for prayer in the public schools. I believe I can write a law to require a time of prayer and meditation in the mornings for our students who so desire.

And with your help I will dare the US Supreme Court to make me take it down.

If this makes any sense at all to you remember me in November and share this article with a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment