Pages

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Forget your wives and daughters, lock up your credit cards!

Well it is that time of year again.

The most revered religious holiday of North America.

That time when we attend our hundred acre temples of worship.

We go on Sunday, Wednesday, and Saturday to see if the Mall Gods have left us any "Bargains".

Yes, it is the most revered of all capitalist holidays...

Shopping season.

Thirty one days till Christmas..

Or should I say christmas.
Or maybe just Xmas..
As in X marks the spot like on some Captain Kidd treasure map.

Time to go over that list of people who sent you a Christmas card to make sure you give them one this year. And mark off the deadbeats who left you hanging last year.

Go over that gift list and check it twice.
Make sure you don't leave out one you owe.
Or send one you don't.

As an amateur economist some things just make me go "huh?" Like the fact that most retail stores make all their profit on the two weeks before Christmas. Some chalking up as much in sales in those two weeks as they do in the entire fifty weeks previous.

And all the while the elected leaders, head in hand, say "But if the people don't load up those credit cards the economy will collapse."


Don't get me wrong, many, even most, of the people elbowing that little old woman in the eye for the last Alabama Snuggie are religious believers and for about ten minutes after the turkey and ham is all gone will have a devout religious experience.

Some will even cry out to Jesus late on Christmas Eve after the toys are put together and Santa has left the building.

I hope my cynicism hasn't come through. I really did look forward to Christmas as a kid. I want my kids to feel the same feelings about it. But it was the joy of the season and the surprise of it all that left me in wonder an awe.

That Lionel was still the greatest thing I have ever seen,

But today it is hard to get a gift that impresses a kid that has two PSP consoles, one for each car.

Yesterday I met a man and two kids picking up cans along highway 72.

I remain ashamed that I couldn't do more. I am reminded that my Lord said that whatever you do to the least of men ~ something or other. I drove away knowing full well that on judgment day I will have to answer the question - "Uh let me get this straight - you left me and two kids on the side of the road hungry and you gave us three bucks and a plastic bottle of water?"

The optimistic among you may say that he was probably just out cleaning the highway. That his wife was home cooking a good meal for those kids and they were just passing the time till dinner.

Maybe, but I doubt it.

Yes it is that time. Like "Carnaval" when we wallow in excess while our brothers suffer. It makes us feel better somehow to get it out of our system.

Those less industrious than my friend on 72 rob stores and houses - " 'Cause that's where the money is" In order to get presents. Home break ins and "snatch and grab" is up one thousand percent and will go up again as the season heats up. One man in Muscle Shoals already gave his life for it.

They want their kids to go to school and show their new "stuff" too!

Lets just say it's a good time to be in the pawn business.



Meanwhile the rich kids are playing around the tree with the box the expensive stuff came in.


My holiday prayer?

"Jesus, let this temple fall"

No comments:

Post a Comment